Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My New Hobby

About 3 years ago my mother in law bought me a sewing machine for Christmas. Then she took me shopping and she got me everything I would need to get started.  Only I never started!  I don't really know why other than I was very unorganized and always seemed to be too busy to actually get started.

Well last Friday I went on Etsy and found a few skirt patterns that said they were great for beginners.  I bought those patterns and then Maiya and I headed to the fabric store stores!  On my first attempt I messed up and cut the fabric in the wrong spot.  So I tried again and I have to say for my first time it wasn't too bad.  The pattern was easy and now I have actually made 3 skirts and I can definitely see improvements.  

I have now become addicted.  I am constantly on Etsy looking at patterns and I LOVE looking at fabric.  With a little girl who loves to dress up it will be a lot cheaper for me to make them then to buy them.  I usually spend anywhere from $1.50-$4.00 for enough fabric to make her skirt and I figure to make her a dress it would be between $4.00-$8.00 still way cheaper than buying these things in a store. 

By summer time my goal will be to have made her enough skirts, Capri's and dresses that the only thing I will have to buy her are shirts.  Then by the end of summer I want to have perfected the ruffle pants!  I love ruffle pants but I have heard they are a little difficult to make.

I will post some pictures soon.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could sew. It would make dressing my 3 kids more affordable for sure.
I've left you an award over at http://www.lifeofatwinglegal.com/2012/02/blog-awards.html. I hope you'll check it out.